Full Time, Full Benefits
Job Code: MC-159
Our Long Term Group Home team is seeking Milieu Counselors to join their dedicated team! Our Milieu Counselors provide support to adolescents (ages 15-17 years old) in a co-ed residential facility setting. The youth, typically from Latin America and occasionally other countries live in our Long-Term Group Home, while they await family reunification or other placement options. They attend public school and other community activities. Milieu Counselors guide youth, by teaching them vocational and daily living skills. They work one-on-one, in groups and school settings.
Milieu Counselor serve as positive role models for the youth in program. They are actively seeking opportunities for youth gain independent living skills, such as learning to shop for clothing, and getting haircuts. Milieu Counselors are integral in helping the youth acculturate to the area, they encourage safe and, wholesome activities such as outings to the park, bowling and other fun activities! The youth are also supported academically, our staff help the teens gain valuable studying skills and encourage them take an interest in their academic development.
Our Milieu Counselors provide a safe and nurturing space for adolescent youth by:
• Planning activities and field trips, assisting with school work and extra-curricular activities, and maintaining a supportive environment for youth
• Using the agency vehicle to provide transportation to youth to attend scheduled appointments
• Assembling and serving nutritious meals
• Actively monitoring the youth to ensure the safety of all participants
The ideal candidates will be supportive and flexible, as well as culturally sensitive and trauma informed. They communicate effectively, with both adolescents in the program and other team members.
Must be comfortable working in a regulated environment; and work within the parameters of program licensing guidelines. Must have the ability to react promptly, and appropriately to the potential challenges involved working in a residential facility.
At Group Home we strive to create a positive team-based work environment. We follow the sanctuary model that represents a theory-based, trauma-informed approach. We work together to best serve the needs of the youth in care and are strong believers that everyone is a valuable member of the team that has something to add to the growth of the program.
Flexible! We have both morning and swing shifts available! A $0.50 /hour pay differential will be applied for hours worked between 11:30pm-7:00am. Please indicate your preference in your application materials.
Morning – Tuesday and Wednesday OFF- 7-3:30pm (Working Thursday to Monday )
Swing- Tuesday and Wednesday OFF- 3-11:30PM (Working Thursday to Monday)
Swing- Friday and Saturday OFF- 3-11:30PM ( Working Sunday to Thursday)
Part-Time and On Call positions also available. Please indicate preference in application materials
Education and Work Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• At least 21 years of age
• High School Diploma
• Minimum of 1 year employment experience in the child welfare field working with children and/or adolescents in a social service setting
• Basic computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, databases and Outlook
• Bi-lingual in Spanish and English, written, read and verbal strongly preferred
• ORR experience
• Residential experience
• Knowledge of adolescent developmental issues, trauma, abuse and neglect, substance abuse and dependence, delinquency, peer influence, and related group and individual interventions.
• Pass a DHS criminal history background
• Meet agency driving requirement
• TB test within 30 days of employment
• Language testing, if applicable
Starting Pay Rate:
Milieu Counselor: $14.00-$14.32
Bilingual Milieu Counselor: $15.26 – $15.61
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
• Nonviolence – being safe and doing the right thing
• Emotional Intelligence – managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
• Social Learning – respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
• Democracy – shared decision making whenever possible
• Open Communication – saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
• Social Responsibility – everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
• Growth and Change – creating hope for our clients and ourselves
•Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference job code “MC-159” in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter. Indicate that you’re applying for the Milieu Counselor – Group Home position and tell us how you heard about us.
• Alternative: Fax your cover letter/resume to Morrison Child and Family Services following the directions above to 503-736-9759.
To be considered for this position you must follow this application procedure.
No Phone Calls Please
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com