Full Time, Full Benefits
Job Code: MC-158
Our largest residential program is seeking Milieu Counselors to join their team! Milieu Counselor make a difference in the lives of many children. Our shelter is well equipped to comfortably care and provide support for up to 50 youth at a time. Through our residential facility, the youth have access to education, and mental health services onsite.
Milieu Counselors help adolescent boys and girls, (11 – 17 years of age) become acquainted with American culture, language and customs. The youth primarily arrive from Latin American countries, occasionally from other countries such as South East Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa. The program provides staff with access to language services such as phone interpreters, to ensure that language isn’t barrier to necessary treatment or care.
Our Milieu Counselors play an integral role in supporting the youth and program in the following ways:
They are mentors and role models for youth in the program. Milieu Counselors lead by example, by interacting professionally and respectfully with youth and colleagues. They create a supportive environment, where youth receive help with academics, encouragement in pursing individual interest/hobbies and if needed learn techniques to address or cope with behavioral issues.
Ensuring the safety of the clients we serve, both in the residential setting and during community outings. Milieu Counselors monitor by being present and alert to see and hear the youth (line of sight), to ensure the safety of all participants. Tools such as relevant training, radios, logs and conducting head counts ensure that Milieu Counselor possess the necessary skills to be able to react and respond immediately if the youth need assistance or support.
Supporting the functioning of the program by completing necessary documentation, completing inventories of program supplies/materials, maintaining the cleanliness and order of program property and working with the team to create fun and engaging activities such as arts and crafts projects, team building games and talent shows!
The ideal candidates will demonstrate compassion, while still being professional and ethical. They will communicate effectively with the youth, in a tactful and thoughtful manner. The ability to maintain composure during stressful situations is crucial competency in this position
Must be comfortable working in a regulated environment; and work within the parameters program licensing guidelines. Have the ability to react quickly, and appropriately to the potential challenges involved working in a residential facility.
Though we are a large team, we see each team member as an invaluable part of each youth’s success during their stay at Shelter. This is a fast-paced work environment where every day is unique and offers opportunities to be creative and work as a team.
Flexible! Four 10-hr shifts, means you get three days off! Currently hiring for the overnight shift. A $0.50 /hour pay differential will be applied for hours worked between 11:30pm-7:00am.
Education and Work Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• At least 21 years of age
• High School Diploma
• Minimum of 1 year employment experience in the child welfare field working with children and/or adolescents in a social service setting
• Basic computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, databases and Outlook
• Bi-lingual in Spanish and English, written, read and verbal strongly preferred
• ORR experience
• Residential experience
• Knowledge of adolescent developmental issues, trauma, abuse and neglect, substance abuse and dependence, delinquency, peer influence, and related group and individual interventions.
• Pass a DHS criminal history background
• Must remain awake during shift
• Meet agency driving requirement
• Language testing, if applicable
Starting Pay Rate:
Milieu Counselor: $14.00-$14.32
Bilingual (Spanish) Milieu Counselor: $15.26 – $15.61
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
• Nonviolence – being safe and doing the right thing
• Emotional Intelligence – managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
• Social Learning – respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
• Democracy – shared decision making whenever possible
• Open Communication – saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
• Social Responsibility – everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
• Growth and Change – creating hope for our clients and ourselves
Click here to apply:
***If viewing job through Indeed.com go to: https://www.morrisonkids.org/careers/openpositions/ and select the job title “Milieu Counselor – Shelter” and click: “APPLY NOW!”
To be considered for this position you must follow this application procedure.
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.